Woongarra State School was opened on 13 August 1879 with an enrolment of sixteen. It was originally sited at the corner of Wallace's Road and Lovers Walk Road. Following several good wet seasons, which caused a great deal of concern about conditions around the school, the school was moved to its present site in 1901. Woongarra State School has always been considered a country school with a country atmosphere.
Although only situated some seven kilometres from the Bundaberg Central Business District, Woongarra is lucky enough to have a rural setting being almost completely surrounded by cane fields. All classrooms are air-conditioned and our manicured grounds are evidence of the pride we have in Woongarra and being Woonies. Our school works in close partnerships with our neighbouring schools in the Coral Coast Cluster and especially with the closest high school, Kepnock State High School.